Thursday, April 19, 2007

Oh I got out to Stithy.

At last, I finally made it out into a world beyond the front door and was surprised to find not much had changed since I last peeped out (I expected cars to be hovering by now).

The day was spent down at Stithians Reservoir where a pair of Hillbilly Grebes, a troupe of Canadian Geese, some mallards and a chiffchaff in the guise of a Chaffinch, were all visible to the judicious birder. A Buzzard was busy visiting its nest and some small watery birds flew off before I could identify them. A solitary swallow dive-bombed flies from the waters surface and I’m so (so so) sure I saw a Hawfinch… I can but dream (he was carrying a bottle of Sake). L. Grebes could be found on the ‘marshy’ bit over the road, but I didn’t stay too long in order to discover any other meaningless highlights.

Not as many lizards around this time, much to my partner’s displeasure. Plenty of Slender Groundhoppers pottering around & Leaf Beetles (the anomalous Gastrophysa viridula beasties) dangled on various grasses getting down & dirty with the opposite sex (bit early, but when the sun comes out the mood does take over…).

The other inane highlights included: A rather large Bumble Bee trying to fly up my arm, finding the biggest Earth Worm I have seen this year and discovering a small red beetle which I can’t identify.

And whilst I remember, there may have been a Willow Warbler, but I didn’t take much notice thinking he was the Chiff I spotted only moments before… a mystery.

No comments: